Gutsy Call: Gun Store Owner Refuses Business From Obama Supporters

I am fairly particular about where I do business. I know- it has earned me disapproving looks from my friends as I’ve outlined my reasons as to why I will not patronize a business, but it’s just how I am. I am also a big believer in the rights of store owners. They, too, should have the right to do business with whomever they wish, and I support that.

The Southwest Shooting Authority in Pinetop, Arizona, has put out a sign informing people that they will not sell firearms to people who voted for Obama because they are “too irresponsible” to own one. Fair enough…

A sign put on the front door of the gun shop reads,

“If you voted for Barack Obama your business is not welcome at Southwest Shooting Authority. You have proven that you are not responsible enough to own a firearm.”

The owner, Cope Reynolds, claimed,

“I’m a small business owner. If you are dumb enough to vote for Obama again -after four years of this- I don’t think you are responsible enough to own a firearm. I don’t care who it makes mad.”

Now, to be clear, I am firmly against government prohibitions or hindrances on firearm purchases. However, a firearms dealer should be able to turn down business if he chooses.

Reynolds claims that he is vehemently against Obama because of the consequences his politics may have on his business. Reynolds also posted a letter on the Ammoland website:

“To Whom it May Concern:

I thought you all might be interested in this. We will try to demonstrate once again that the bottom line for our business is principle, not money. Yes, it has been damaging at times but our values are intact. Effective immediately, if you voted for Obama, your money is no good here. You have proven beyond a doubt that you are not responsible enough to own a firearm. We have just put a sign up on the front door to save you the trouble of walking all the way in here.”

While the stance is likely to alienate some, it is bound to delight people like me. I enjoy giving my money to businesses that share my values, and as Reynolds’ policy is derived from his own choice, I would happily purchase my firearms at his store if I lived there.

This is sure to upset people who feel that the owner is being trivial and petty. However, A) it is Mr. Reynolds’ right to sell to whomever he wishes, and B) I can see his point. The gun shop is bound to face further economic headaches as liberal failures create fiscal hurdles for small businesses. Furthermore, with the looming threat of a crackdown on our Second Amendment rights, Reynolds’ business is in greater jeopardy than the average small business. So, why should the people who helped reelect Obama reap the benefits of Mr. Reynolds’ business?

“If we lose the whole business it doesn’t matter,” Reynolds said. “The bottom line is my values.”

As for safety, Reynolds claims he has received plenty of complaints and threats, but has said he’s not worried,

“We’re able to wear our guns in Arizona and we wear on 24-7. We train regularly.”

Well played, Mr. Reynolds…

This entry was posted in American Greatness, News, Second Amendment and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Gutsy Call: Gun Store Owner Refuses Business From Obama Supporters

1. Jason says:

Meanwhile the rest of the world laughs at your pathetic country.

• Sarah says:

America laughs at your big govt. socialist countries that thinks their citizens are not responsible enough to own guns. Your govt. thinks your too pathetic to own guns. Ha

• Guest says:

Well, at least my government is a little more responsible.
        We can get weapons with proper training, medical and mental tests.

They don’t let just anyone buy a weapon as you pick a candy and jeopardize the security of everyone around them.

• Daver says:

Yeah; maybe electing the guy the first time around was kind of justified–he had no record, no accomplishments, and we could project whatever we wanted onto him. But we were dumb enough to re-elect him even after we saw what he was about.

Or was that not what you were talking about?

2. Sonya says:

LOVE IT!!!!

3. Jay says:

The funniest part of this is that paranoia over perceived threats of gun ownership under the Obama administration have actually INCREASED gun sales. Under Obama’s administration there hasn’t been a single federal law enacted, or even put on the President’s desk, that would restrict gun ownership. The paranoia is actually making businesses like this one more profitable. If he had any business sense at all he’d be happy to see Obama re-elected.

4. Jay Ottinger says:

He isn’t really losing customers those that voted for obama are afraid of guns and are the ones trying to ban them. It’s good to finally see someone stand by their principles. We need more men like this if we are to save this country.

5. C.J.Trudelle says:

What most don’t see is the smoke screen that is in effect. It’s not so much the Obama administration that needs to be worried about as it is the influence of the organizations like the UN who want to enact laws that will eventually give them the power to enact taxation, gun control and that’s only the beginning.
    It is easy for the current administration to postulate on some of the things that we are now facing, then leave them alone and let the riled up citizenry argue the pro’s and con’s of the postulation then sneak something in right under the noses of the ones arguing.
    This is a ploy that has been used in the political sphere for many years, called the Overton Window, check it out, all you have to do is Google it.