Occupy Capitalist Ice Cream

With Summer just around the corner, many readers will find themselves indulging in tasty, frozen treats to assuage the summer heat. While such past times are emblematic of American culture (remember chasing the ice cream man down the street with your dollar from mom?), be mindful of what company (and cause) you fund.

Ben and Jerry’s ice cream is a top-notch ice cream company that first opened it’s doors in 1978 and have been known for their off-beat advertising. Recently, Ben and Jerry’s have taken a big step into the world of politics. More than, say, using environmentally conscience packaging or something fairly benign, this most capitalist of companies have taken a stand against capitalism and the free market. On their website, they adamantly stand by the Occupy movement.

The website enumerates the vital issues that the Occupy movement aims to redress. Sounding more like a Cuban party leader’s manifesto than a capitalist company’s website, it states:

-The inequity that exists between classes in our country is simply immoral.

-We are in an unemployment crisis. Almost 14 million people are unemployed. Nearly 20% of African American men are unemployed. Over 25% of our nation’s youth are unemployed.

-Many workers who have jobs have to work 2 or 3 of them just to scrape by.

-Higher education is almost impossible to obtain without going deeply in debt.

-Corporations are permitted to spend unlimited resources to influence elections while stockpiling a trillion dollars rather than hiring people.

And just like that, after reading “The Ice Cream Manifesto”, I became a Breyer’s man.

Since 1978, Ben and Jerry’s have been making full use of an economic system that in a remarkably short time had made this nation a powerhouse and envy of the world. Like Warren Buffett, Matt Damon and an array of other Capitalists, they wish to foster socialism (and, evidently, class warfare) once they have a comfortable amount of wealth. I understand the advocacy of socialism by the lazy, but to have a company that innovates and works within our capitalist system to amass its wealth support the occupiers’ brand of collectivism just plain wreaks of hypocrisy.

To make matters worse, Ben Cohen, co-founder of Ben and Jerry’s, is facilitating vandalism of money to spread socialist rhetoric. He and his group, the Movement Resource Group, are trying to make a difference in this war against capitalism. No, he’s not spreading his own wealth around- don’t be ridiculous- he’s raising money to distribute rubber stamps with anti-corporate spending messages on them to encourage people to stamp their money with slogans like “Corporations are not people” and “Money is not speech”. Of course, should Cohen get in trouble for defacing money, how long do you suppose it will take before he cites his use of money as “free speech”?

This summer, I will beat the heat by enjoying the occasional ice cream cone filled with chocolate-mint ice cream. I will abstain from funding further a company that works against the interests of this country and encourage others to do similarly. I will, however, eagerly anticipate the day when Ben and Jerry’s commits fully to their cause and releases “Cherry Guevara”.

This entry was posted in News, Occupy, The Battle For Capitalism and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Occupy Capitalist Ice Cream

1. Jack E. Schurman says:

I will from here on use an ice cream that my brother is employed by and has an excellent products and flavors. It the Wells Blue Bunny Ice Cream Co. located in LeMars, Iowa for this is not a socialistic country and I served in the Navy for ll years and two terms in Viet Nam losing the use of my legs and not for nothing.

2. Daniel Bente says:

Not really surprising in the political climate of today. They are trying to assuage the perceived “99%” of the populace that is (supposedly) the Occupy movement. Their overpriced ice cream is a favorite among Liberals who like to appear affluent and intellectually superior. Of course, like most Liberal facades, it appears this capitalistic success story is kissing up to the people who would destroy them in the end. They are in it for the short run (like most Liberal types) with the idea to amass as much of everyone elses hard earned money as they can with no remorse for the future implications of their ideological shortsightedness.

• Gail Sanders says:

These jet-set rich liberals are such hipocrits. They certainly don’t practice what they preach!!

• Gail Sanders says:

I’ve known they were super liberals for some time. Haven’t bought their ice cream for years. Do they produce anything else that I don’t know of?

3. Jen says:

Why don’t the Ben and Jerry’s folks just expand their business and give jobs to all those poor disadvantaged youth without jobs? This would solve EVERYTHING! (Not to mention, they could be hiring youth straight out of high school so that they don’t have to get a degree and go into debt.) Puh-leeez they are such hypocrites!!

4. Paul says:

This follows right along with all the other”capitalists” who bash America and actively try to bring about its downfall while reaping the benefits of the very system that made them rich. Sean Penn and Michael Moore are other prime examples. Simple and undereducated people will always opt for the easy way out; government handouts which are nothing more than a politicians way of buying votes For decades our public education system has been infiltrated by socialist/Marxists are propagandizing our children against capitalism. The irony is of course, had our founding fathers set this nation up as a socialist oriented country, the US would never have achieved the greatness it has nor been able to stop Germany and Japan in WWII. Socialism has NEVER worked as well as Capitalism nor given people the ultimate freedom that capitalism does. It is up to the individual to make his or her own life better, not the government.

5. Moose says:

Apparently you are totally oblivious to this companies business practices. This is not new, they have since their inception supported various causes through their philanthropy. And they make damn good ice cream. And never mind that the Tea Party and Occupy share many goals. Msybe we should go back to how our founding fathers treated corporations and make them shut down afrer 20 or 30the years and have a narrowly defined purpose.

• Daniel Bente says:

Actually I am uninformed about an Ice Cream Companies business practices. I admit that freely. They do make good Ice Cream, but I will not support a company that supports the downfall of my country. Naturally, if I spent ALL of my time looking up every single Corporations philanthropic activities, I would have little time for a life. I do not try to look more informed than I am and do not look up information in order to look good either.
      The Tea Party and the Occupy movements have very little in common and only someone with your obvious intellect would try to claim they did. To put it to you simply, the Tea Party wants smaller government and more personal responsibility; the Occupy (bowel) Movement wants socialism (big government) and lack of responsibility. The ONLY area the two have parallel paths is on wanting a change in government… yet even that is in opposite directions. I do agree that the Founding Fathers had a healthy fear of the powers of Corporation and limited the scope of the Corporate Charters they allowed as well as the time for which they were allowed to exist. Of course, the same could be said of Unions. They have far outgrown the scope and purpose for which they were founded.

6. David says:

Never did care for their product much anyway… now just one more reason to leave it on the grocery store shelf. Liberals with money like Ben & Jerry’s need to feel it in their wallet. What will happen to their way of life when this becomes a communist country??? If they have their way, we’ll be there soon… And they will suffer right along with the rest of us.

7. michael mcdaniel says:

i dont eat ben and jerrys because of the crap that they put into their ice cream, to my count about 3/4 of it is artificial. for me its braums when affordable, homemade when i have the time, and local storebrand because of price.

8. bg says:

Amen Daniel..

==

9. WWT says:

Ben and Jerry have always been macro-liberals and socialists. There is no way they can justify the markup on their silly ice cream. People shop there because they, too, are liberals and quasi-socialists. I’ll just have a soft-serve cone at Mickey D’s.

10. Winston Smith says:

And the list of establishments going off the Left wall (hopefully into oblivion) grows: Ben & Jerry’s, Target, Starbucks … who’s next to piss of the REAL MAJORITY of patriots?

11. gina says:

From hard times scraping by and eating soda crackers in the cold….to comfortable (wealthy) all-american businessmen….what have they done to bring down the debt?
    Donate all $ from just the Jerry Garcia sales, to a “delete the debt” campaign…..
    yeah, ya’ll Ben & Jerry’s……

12. Gardengoddess says:

Locally, I try to make sure I patronize Conservative proprietors first and foremost. Harder to do over the Internet. But every dollar I can keep out of a liberal pocket is less money in the liberal campaign coffers. And I DON’T and WON’T patronize B&J’s either! I am a value shopper; same as most everyone else. But I will pay more to support a conservative proprietor.

13. Carol Newell says:

For the past several years I have been a steady customer of Ben and Jerry’s, especially the chocolate Phish Food…….After reading this post on Ben and Jerry and Occupy I have just thrown in the garbage the pint I had in the freezer. Tough luck Ben and Jerry, no more of my money!!!